Tuesday, March 13, 2007

stuck

I'm stuck on the ideas of snacking and consumption. Walking my dogs today and the hunger started walking me. I thought about what I would do if I wasn't fasting. I'd think about what sounded yummy. I'd go get it.
Prior to fasting I'd been wrestling with consumptive behavior and I'd gotten to the point where going and getting it would no longer mean driving to a restaurant fast-food or otherwise. At most it would mean bicycling somewhere nearby. At best, I'd eat something from home. I wonder if I'll take it to the next level as a result of fasting. I'm not even sure what the next level is. Growing my own food? A fruit tree in the backyard? I think this experience will strengthen my convictions, but I'm not sure about new or unique revelations.
More on musings while walking the dogs...
The hunger is most noticeable when nothing else is. That got me thinking about the degree to which consumption relates to boredom. For me, the pattern looks/looked a little like this. I'm bored. Thoughts of what I want enter my head. Not what I need; what I want. Might be food. Might be a movie. Might be a new gadget or game. I then relieve my boredom by acquiring whatever is I want. Assuming it's within my means to do so.
What's the grand conclusion from that observation? Don't be bored? I don't think so. I'll chew on it for a while and let you know.

No comments: