Sunday, March 11, 2007

Day 9

The Bahai fasting period lasts until March 20. I'm looking forward to that day. I suppose I could stop at any time, since I'm not doing it for religious reasons, but it would feel like a cop out. I recently completed my first marathon. At some point in my training, I realized that I didn't really know why I was running the marathon. I just decided to run one and did it. I had that same realization about fasting today. I don't really know why I'm doing it. I just decided to do it and now I'm in the middle of it.

3 comments:

Jeff Hebert said...

I just read a graphic novel, "Red Eye, Black Eye" that fits this post perfectly. I highly recommend you pick it up (though it's pricey). It's not a super-hero book, it's what I guess you'd call "underground comix", but I was thinking of you the whole time I was reading it. Like you, the author finds himself in the middle of a somewhat large situation and isn't quite sure how he got there, why he's still there, or what he's supposed to be getting out of it all.

Unknown said...

Are you losing weight?

Your "reasoning" sounds like me in ways. Like how I became a veggie... "Hmmm, I haven't eaten meat in a while, let's see how long this goes." Or "Let's see if I can go 48 hours without food." Just 'cuz.

How much of the motivation is just being stubborn? I wonder how much of mine is just boredom...

David M said...

Stubborn is a key word. I actually told someone that I was checking to see how stubborn I was when I was training for the marathon. 'Willpower' seems more complimentary, so that's the word I'm using these days. :-)