Saturday, March 10, 2007

Snack time

I'm becoming very aware of just how much snacking I do. I'm also becoming aware of how little snacking I need to do. And of how convenient food is for some, myself included.
Where's that line? That line that separates excessive from...not excessive. Is it right at the edge of need? I've thought for a long time that the word 'need' is one of the more overused words. Seems like a rationalization of 'want' more often than not. I hope this experience helps me more clearly define what it is that I need. And makes me more conscious of when I'm just taking what I want because it's convenient. I'd like to resist the temptation of convenience more frequently.

As an aside: Fasting and watching a movie changes the experience a bit. I went to see "The Lives of Others" today. Very, very good movie, but I found myself hyperaware of all of the scenes that involved food. I'm not sure it was the director's intent that I salivate while a character casually crunches a piece of toast, but that's exactly what happened.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At work, I snack frequently. It is annoying.

I totally agree about the word 'need'. I try not to be annoying about it, but sometimes when people say they need something, I chime in with "Need is a very strong word...". I think 'hate' falls into that same category.

Are you working out during this fast? This is such a radical shift from your pre-marathon calorie binges!

David M said...

Not working out much during the fast. Up until this week, I'd been too busy at work to even think about it. I may go for a jog some morning just to see how it feels.