Monday, June 26, 2006

why

I can't say that I started a haiku blog with a clear and definite purpose. In addition to some original haiku and some haiku by others, I'll try to give you some history of haiku. In the process, maybe the reason haiku appeals to me will be revealed to both of us.
Here are a few quotes from the book "The Haiku Handbook" that seem relevant:

"The primary purpose of reading and writing haiku is sharing moments of our lives that have moved us, pieces of experience and perception that we offer or receive as gifts." (Higginson, pg. v)

"When we compose a haiku we are saying, 'It is hard to tell you how I am feeling. Perhaps if I share with you the event that made me aware of these feelings, you will have similar feelings of your own.'" (Higginson, pg. 3)


I'm not sure I agree with the part about attempting to engender similar feelings, but I do like aspects of both of those sentiments.
Higginson with Penny Harter, William. The Haiku Handbook. New York: Kodansha International Ltd., 1989.

No comments: